International Overdose Awareness Day (IOAD) began in 2001 in the city of Melbourne, Australia. Over the past two decades, it has blossomed into a worldwide phenomenon. Dozens of organizations observe the day by hosting nearly 1,000 events across the globe.
The drug and alcohol center in Colorado honors this day by hosting events, creating awareness, and championing those who fight to stay sober and reclaim their lives. IOAD provides a platform where organizations can offer education, encouragement, support, and a network for individuals and families that struggle from alcohol or drug addiction.
If you would like to know more about International Overdose Awareness Day 2019, then contact AspenRidge Recovery. We can give you information on how to get involved or how to connect with our treatment center.
What Are the Goals of International Overdose Awareness Day?
The main objective of International Overdose Awareness Day is to create a higher level of awareness of overdoses. IODA also seeks to reshape the negative stigma associated with drug-related deaths.
By hosting events and supporting the initiative, we have an opportunity to help organizations with research and resources about evidence-based prevention and drug policies. Too many families, friends, coworkers, and people in the community have felt the pain from overdose-related deaths. Therefore, according to their site, it is our duty to spread the message about IOAD and their goals by:
- Providing an opportunity for people to publicly mourn loved ones in a safe environment, some for the first time without feeling guilt or shame
- Including the greatest number of people in International Overdose Awareness Day 2019 events, and encouraging non-denominational involvement
- Giving community members information about the issue of fatal and non-fatal overdoses
- Sending a strong message to current and former people who use drugs that their lives are valued
- Stimulating discussion about overdose prevention and drug policy and providing basic information about the range of support services that are available
- Preventing and reducing drug-related harm by supporting evidence-based policies and practices, and informing people around the world about the risk of overdoses
We also integrate these points into our Lakewood, CO drug addiction treatment program.
How to Participate
There are several ways that you can participate in IOAD. First, you can host an activity or an event in your community. IOAD can help you publicize your event and get the word out about what we are trying to accomplish.
All events need to follow the guidelines outlined on the IOAD website. Once you register an event, they will provide plenty of resources, printable items, promotional materials, and support. You can also support the cause in other ways, including:
- Posting a tribute
- Purchasing a band, wristband, t-shirt, or lanyard
- Creating a social media campaign and sharing it on all your pages
- Subscribing to the IOAD newsletter.
You can find out more information on the IOAD homepage.
Find Out More About Addiction
If you are struggling with addiction or know someone that may need help, then contact AspenRidge Lakewood today. We offer comprehensive treatment for substance abuse and dependency. Some of our addiction treatment programs include:
- Over-the-counter drug addiction treatment
- Marijuana addiction treatment program
- Oxycodone addiction treatment program
- Synthetic drug addiction treatment program
To find out more, call us at (855) 281-5588. We are proud supporters of International Overdose Awareness Day.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!